Smart English A2 - First Level in New Series at CEFR Levels A0-A2+
Original course for teenagers based on student-generated content. Real teenagers from around the world talk about their lives, interests and skills. In the custom-made videos, we see them at school and at home, working and on holiday Ė speaking in unscripted English which has been carefully edited to suit the level. The authentic writing models, written by real learners using online tools, are designed to tap into studentsí creativity and inspire them to write about their own experiences and opinions using guided frames.
Studentís Book + 2 Class Audio CDs
120-hour course including all extra elements.
- 12 Units, 8 pages per Unit, in modern, stylish, student-friendly design.
- Easy-to-use, 10-Step, skills-based structure, with regular features.
- Integrated real life video and authentic online writing tasks.
- Your Goals to begin each Unit and Your Score to end each Unit.
- The Big Read - four extended reading extracts from modern fiction.
- Listening scripts, Partner activities, Unit-by-Unit Glossary.
Download the Smart English A2 Studentís Book : Map of the Book
Workbook & Revision + 1 Audio CD
- Exercises for homework or class work in simple 6-step format:
- Grammar explanation and practice; Vocabulary building; Listening and Communication; Pronunciation with audio; CLIL; Portfolio Writing.
- Revision sections for class and independent study (study skills).
- Workbook CD and Listening scripts.
Video Pack - DVD with Films & Activity Pages
- DVD featuring two specially made videos for every Unit using authentic language that is strictly relevant to the learning in the Unit.
- The DVD comes in a separate colour book with worksheets for every film.
Exam Practice for Trinity GESE Grades 3 and 4 Cambridge KET (Key English Test, Key for Schools)
- Course prepares for Trinity and Cambridge exams, with focus on:
- Speaking activities for Trinity GESE Exams (Conversation, Your Topic)
- Part A (Units 1-6) covers Trinity GESE Grade 3; Part B (Units 7-12) covers Trinity GESE Grade 4
- Particular preparation for Cambridge KET Reading and Writing (Paper 1), Listening (Paper 2) and Speaking (Paper 3)
- KET writing tasks highlighted in the Workbook
The Big Question & Your Answer
- All Units open with The Big Question, to warm up and personalise the topic.
- At the end of the Unit there is a matching Your Answer section to check understanding and Your Score for self-assessment.
- Fold-out cover flaps with functional exponents in handy language chunks for instant reference, with matching exercises in the book.
Online Writing by Students and for Students
- Students from a dozen countries contributed their own authentic writing examples using online tools.
CLIL in every Unit
- Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL) sections in every Student Book and Workbook Unit with exercises. Many CLIL sections include films on the DVD.
- Introducing the method; Unit-by-Unit notes; Answer Keys.
- Progress Tests, Unit Tests, Exam tasks flagged for specific practice.
Smart English is a new course for general English. It has several interesting features. First, the CLIL strand is superb, covering areas such as genetics, ecotourism, phobias and gravity. Second, an accompanying DVD takes students on an interesting journey around the world. Third, the book includes three (four) slightly longer texts to encourage extensive reading. I like the foldable cardboard flaps, which form part of the cover; they present 'language banks' of useful phrases. Topics such as circuses and street art should appeal to the target audience of young adults. The twelve units are well designed; includes some lovely illustrations. Worth investigation.
Pete Sharma, EL Gazette, November 2012